July 7, 2008

IMCDA 2008 Race Report - Part 2 - Toeing The Line

This is the second part of my race report for Ironman Coeur d'Alene 2008. This part focuses on everything from the start of race weekend through "Toeing The Line" (or the moment before the canon goes off to start the race).

After a 5 hour drive from our home in Seattle, WA we arrived in Coeur d'Alene, ID and pulled into the driveway of the home that we rented. Sarah, Madison, and I piled out of the car to explore our new surroundings. Matt and Claire would be in later that evening and Kristine, Justin, Riley, and Boulder would follow on Friday night. It was going to be perfect, 3 bedroom house with a fenced in backyard for the dogs...all of the comforts of home and a kitchen so we could cook most of our own meals. So we arrive and walk around the house, it was nice, but something was missing...can't quite put my finger on it...the missing item was the 3rd bedroom. Oh crap! I wasn't too keen on sleeping on the couch the night before the race so we kept searching. There must have been 5 couches in that house and we tore the cushions from each one looking for the fold out bed...no such luck. Finally Sarah opened a closet door and it turned out to be a stairwell to the attic. A large bedroom had been drywalled into the attic...it was rustic but had lots of room to spread out, which is what I needed with all the crap I brought. So we took the wierd attic bedroom and got settled in. Matt and Claire arrived late that night and was promptly welcomed by a tired/confused/growling Madison...very ferocious, let me tell you.

In the morning we headed over to the lake for a quick 10 minute dip/equipment check. There were a lot of folks doing a full swim lap (1.2 miles) or more which kind of surprised me, but I stuck to my plan and just tried to get accimatized to the water temps. Nice little swim and the water wasn't too bad (maybe 58 degrees) with a full wetsuit, a neoprene swim cap, and neoprene swim socks. Got out dried off and went to register. The registration tent was in what would soon be the transition area (both T1 and T2) and right across the way was a very large outdoor expo type of setup with just about everything available for sale. Forget your bike? No problem, just buy a new Cervelo P3C. Forget your wheels? No problem, we've got those too. Bike mechanics were crawling all over that place and eager to assist you or sell you something. You get a flat tire in a place like that and they would be on you in a flash.

Took it easy and made a quick grocery/costco trip before making some dinner. Then off to the athlete's meeting where they warned us about the sharp turns, cold water, and other things that can catch you by surprise. Back to the house for a beer to relax while the rest of the crew indulged in Margaritas. Kristine, Justin, Riley, and Boulder showed up later that evening like a tornado. But we got the dogs into the fenced in backyard and let them blow off some steam. Riley was sleepy and wasn't real sure about anyone at that point...especially Matt...but he had potential so she kept her eye on him. We hung out for a bit and then turned in. In the morning I had to twist Justin's arm to go out with his brand new Trek Madone to ride the upper loop of the bike course (about 36 miles) to scout it out for me. I went to get my bike checked in and racked and drop off my T1 and T2 bags. Starting to get more jittery now but more excited than nervous. Just trying to stay loose. Headed back drove the bike course to get a feel for what it was going to be like. Went back and downloaded with Justin to compare what I saw versus what he felt like. After that there was a sign making party inside and some relaxing on the deck with some sports drink outside (let the hydration kick into a higher gear). We all had dinner together, did a small amount of race spectator location planning etc...and then off to bed. Just try to get some sleep, just get some sleep! Actually went right to sleep...no problem. I was amazed.

Up a little bit before 5am, get dressed for the day and head down for some breakfast. Kristine comes up out of the basement...no bedroom down there...must have crashed on the couch so she didn't wake Riley when we got up. Toast with PB&J, and Instant Breakfast, and a Banana. Pack the rest up and head to the start line around 5:30. Now pretty nervous. Pump up the tires on the bike, drop off the bike and run special needs bags (the bags that you get halfway through each of those legs that you can put whatever into them), and back to the area where the early morning crew (Sarah, Kristine, Claire, and Matt) set up to watch the swim. Start putting on my wesuit at about 6:15. At 6:25 the pros start...looks intense at the swim start but then again there are only about 50 of them total in the race as compared to 2100 of the rest of us schmucks set to go off at 7:00. Finish getting wetsuit on say goodbye to the early morning crew and head over to the beach. The plan is that everyone lines up on this beach and a canon goes off...the rest is supposed to be part blender part WWF wrestling match. So I get my swim caps on and get my goggles defogged. Don't want them on my head until the 10 second countdown because my hot head tends to fog up goggles. VERY nervous now. Try to bounce around and stretch to stay loose and keep my mind off the nerves. Chat and laugh nervously with one woman next to me....BANG.

That was it, didn't see it coming, the start really snuck up on me but thats probably for the best. Suddenly I snap out of it and see the person in front of me start moving toward the water. I did it. I made it to the start of the Ironman without major injury or illness. I spent 8 months baking the cake, now I am ready for the icing. I feel great and I am ready to go. I toed the line...and then lifted my left foot toward the water.

...mental note for next time: place the T1 and T2 bags inside a garbage bag with the opening facing down just in case it rains overnight



No comments: